Timothy Busfield Replaced by David Zayas on SVU Amid Child Abuse Scandal


Timothy Busfield’s recurring Law and Order: SVU character will have a new face.

Us Weekly can confirm that Busfield, 68, has been recast on the long-running procedural series, with David Zayas tapped to replace him. Zayas, 63, is best known for playing Angel Batista on Dexter and its subsequent spinoff series.

Busfield’s final Law and Order: SVU episode was pulled last month from NBC after a warrant was issued for his arrest on charges of two counts of criminal sexual contact of a minor and child abuse. The episode was initially scheduled to air on January 15 but the episode was replaced with one for another date.

The episode with Zayas has already been filmed and will air on Thursday, February 26.

Us has reached out to NBC and Busfield for comment.

Busfield was accused in January of inappropriately touching twin child actors on the set of The Cleaning Lady, where he served as an executive producer and director. According to the Albuquerque Police Department affidavit obtained by Us, the alleged incidents occurred between late 2022 and early 2024.

One of the child actors claimed that he was “very afraid of Tim and was relieved when he was off set.” The boy’s twin brother, who also starred on the show, was allegedly “afraid to tell anyone because Tim was the director, and he feared Tim would get mad at him,” per the affidavit.

During an interview with police, Busfield denied that there was anything “weird” about his interactions with the children on set.

GettyImages-2245929411
John Nacion/Getty Images for Paramount Pictures

“I mean, I’m always around people, right? It would be, you know, in front of the parents. There would never be a weird moment about it,” he said. “I don’t really remember picking those boys up. I remember picking up the boy who followed them. I’d pick him up and he’d be giggling and that would sort of get him ready to act.”

Busfield surrendered himself to the police after the warrant was issued. Before turning himself in, Busfield maintained his innocence in a video obtained by TMZ.

“I did not do anything to those little boys,” he said. “And I’m gonna fight it. I’m gonna fight it with a great team, and I’m gonna be exonerated. I know I am, ‘cause this is all so wrong and so lies. So hang in there, and hopefully I’m out real soon.”

GettyImages2256757809 Timothy Busfield to Be Released From Jail Amid Child Sex Abuse Trial


Related: Timothy Busfield Released From Jail Before Trial for Alleged Sex Abuse

UPDATE — 1/21/26, 1:45 a.m. ET: Timothy Busfield was released from police custody as he awaits trial on alleged child sex abuse charges. Per police records obtained by Us Weekly in the early hours of Wednesday, January 21, Busfield was released the previous day. A report by People published in light of the news included […]

After turning himself in, Busfield appeared in court. He did not enter a plea at the time.

Amid the allegations, Busfield’s wife, Melissa Gilbert, has remained by his side. The actress, 61, has appeared in court for Busfield’s hearings and released a statement of support via her publicist.

“During this period, her focus is on supporting and caring for their very large family, as they navigate this moment,” the statement obtained by Us read. “Melissa stands with and supports her husband and will address the public at an appropriate time. We ask that their privacy be respected.”

Gilbert’s rep added that the actress will not be making any additional statements at the request of Busfield’s legal team.

If you or someone you know is experiencing child abuse, call or text Child Help Hotline at 1-800-422-4453.



Source link

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top